History of the School

13-June-18
History of the School

HISTORY OF MARINO SCHOOL (1956-2020)

The Irish Association of Cerebral Palsy was founded in 1951. A centre was established in Bray in a house called “Carrig Brae”, a former boarding school the Drummond School, for the sons of Irish men serving in the British Army. Lady Talbot De Malahide, who had initially co-founded educational facilities in her home at Marino, Killiney, donated a sum of £3,000 in memory of her late husband to purchase the property in Bray. A residential school for children with Cerebral Palsy was opened on the site in 1956. There were 13 children on the roll when the Cerebral Palsy Clinic School, Bray, Co Wicklow, as it was then known, was opened in March 1956. The pupils attending the school came from counties all over Ireland. All the pupils lived in the adjoining clinic at the time. The Cerebral Palsy Clinic School changed its name to Marino Clinic School in June 1976 by order of the management committee.

A second school to cater for deaf and handicapped children was opened on the site in Bray in 1977 as the availability of residential accommodation coincided with a national need to provide facilities for children suffering from the rubella syndrome. This school was subsequently closed in June 1993.

By 1968, the school in Bray had two teachers and two new classrooms were opened in 1961. A further extension to the school building was officially opened in 1982 by Dr. WJ Roche (see above). All the children attending the school did so on a residential basis. This cannot have been easy for the children or their families at that time as educational options were not in a position to accommodate children with a disability in large classes and school buildings were inaccessible. The Board of Management changed the name of the school from Marino Clinic School to Marino School in 1997.

Marino School 50th anniversary booklet.pdf

The last remaining residential student left Marino School in 2002. The school and clinic now cater for day students from the local community (South county Dublin and the Greater Wicklow Area). In 2010, Marino School transitioned into a Community Special School, following the guidance of the Department of Education and Skills and in consultation with the National Council for Special Education, under the continued patronage of Enable Ireland Services. The school continues to be part of the Special School element of the continuum of educational provision for pupils with Special Education Needs (SEN).

Irish Independent official opening of extension in Marino 1982.pdf

It states that:

“The Marino Clinic, which is the only residential one of its kind in the country, was established in Bray in 1952. Originally it was situated in part of a house loaned to the Association by Lady Talbot de Malahide in Killiney, but in 1952 Lady Talbot donated the house where the present clinic is situated.” In 1951 Lady Talbot de Malahide, was a widow with a large house in Killiney and she generously offered the use of part of her home to the Cerebral Palsy Association as a residential clinic.

When Lady Talbot de Malahide re-married shortly afterwards, the residential clinic needed a new home. A suitable premises (previously a boarding school for the children of Irishmen who had been in the British Anny) was found in nearby Bray, Co. Wicklow, and Lady Talbot de Malahide again assisted the Cerebral Palsy Association by presenting the Association with the purchase price for a house, which she wished to stand as a memorial to her first husband. This house was called Carrigbrae House and it became the Marino Talbot de Malahide Memorial Clinic, and it was formally opened in March 1952.

For further information about our School Patron, Enable Ireland Services, please click below:

https://www.enableireland.ie/

Enquire
Contact
Marino Community Special School,
Church Road,
Bray,
Co. Wicklow,
Ireland

01 282 9807


Download the iClass App for iOS
Download the iClass App for Android
Location
© 2022 Marino Community Special School